According to Wikipedia, Compassion is a human emotion prompted by the pain of others. More vigorous than empathy, the feeling commonly gives rise to an active desire to alleviate another's suffering. It is often though not inevitably, the key component in what manifests in the social context of Altruism.
Why Compassion is important:
Man is a social animal and always looks for the support and guidance of others. He always was and is depended on others to progress. Right from first man to the modern man, we always are depended on others, particularly on Nature. When i say nature, its trees and obviously animals. Animals were great friends of man since ages. They always helped man right from transportation to laboratory testings. So, in the development of man and his culture, the role of animals is almost indispensable. But, in the mean time, we have ignored that, animals are also creatures and since they are helping us, we should be more thankful to them. With the time we started thinking that, exploiting animals is our right. But, which is not. God has created all the living beings with a different purpose. Cutting down trees without purpose is now leading to Global warming and Air pollution. The purpose of creating trees is to give oxygen, which we forget so badly.
Like wise every living being is created for a purpose but not to get exploited or being killed ruthlessly. The main difference in this thinking is because in these busy lives, we are not teaching our kids about being compassionate to others. Its mainly the fault of the system itself. Our parents always taught us about being compassionate. But in these days, how many parents are talking about this? I doubt very few. The percentage may be around 10, i guess.
What is importance of promoting compassion or humane education?
1. It helps to prevent violence and helps kids apply the concepts of respect and kindness towards animals in their own lives.
2. It helps kids understand current and past social justice movements.
3. It empowers kids to realize that they can make a positive difference in their communities and the world around them.
4. It motivates young people, who are naturally fond of animals to become involved in a cause that they care about.
5. It prevents them being anti social elements.
6. It could change your kids lives ... and may be your own!!
Hence, i request all the readers to teach compassion and humane education to your kids. Systematic re-inforcement will make your kids understand the importance of it and will behave like responsible human beings.