By Barry Lycka
Beautifully polished nails aren't just for hand models. Besides your face, your hands are another area that people first notice about you. Nail polish can help your hands look younger, smoother and even thinner. Polishing your nails may seem like a no-brainer, but here are some helpful tips you may not have been aware of before:
1. If you are already wearing a polish or not, before you apply nail polish, always remove the excess oils from your nails with nail polish remover.
2. To avoid cotton ball fuzzies stuck to your nails, use a makeup sponge with polish remover.
3. To avoid yellowing nails after your polish is removed, try buffing the tops of your nails. This will also smooth out the roughness of your nails.
4. Always, always, always use a base coat! This also will help eliminate the discolorization of your nails.
5. Water-based nail enamels, hypoallergenic and unscented nail products are available if you have sensitive skin.
6. Choose a shade that enhances your fingers and toes.
7. Instead of shaking your polish, roll the bottle in the palm of your hand, your nail polish will last longer!
8. Don't put too much polish on the brush.
9. When painting your nails, apply the polish to the tips of your nails and slightly underneath the tip of your nails.
10. Fast drying enamels are fabulous, but they also chip faster!
11. Nail polish takes a full hour to completely dry without smudging.
12. Once your nails have dried enough, usually 10 minutes, add a top coat.
13. To keep your nails looking glossy, apply a new coat every other day.