By Shelli Stein
Optimizing nutrition and optimizing your food choices during menopause will go a long way towards creating a healthy and symptom-free menopause. It helps to have some foods to focus on that will give you the most bang for your buck!
Here are 10 healthful foods for you to focus on to supercharge your health during menopause.
1. Pumpkin is filled with vitamin C and A, has fiber and has anti-inflammatory properties. Canned pumpkin is fine, just make sure there is no sugar added. Pumpkin is very delicious and can be used in a variety of ways.
2. Beets. Try adding beets to homemade coleslaw. Not a typical item found in coleslaw, but it'll give it a nice taste. Beets have vitamins A and C, fiber and minerals.
3. Beans and other legumes are high in protein and fiber.
4. Yogurt is a great source of calcium and has probiotics in it which help improve your gut health.
5. Canned tuna or salmon is filled with protein, is relatively inexpensive and has good omega-3 fat.
6. Oranges are very high in vitamin C and potassium. Eat the fruit rather than the juice and eat the pith because that's where a lot of the vitamins are.
7. Sweet potatoes are high in vitamin A and C and also a good fiber source. When you boil them you lose a lot of the vitamins, so bake them and be sure to eat the skin.
8. Frozen berries are full of antioxidants. Use a variety of berries and eat them every day.
9. Kiwi has vitamins E and K and is also high in vitamin C.
10. Spinach is a powerhouse so just make sure to eat it! Use spinach in smoothies, raw in salads, or cooked in some olive oil.
Notice in this group of 10 the variety of colors, the variety of vitamins you'll get, the fiber content, the different macro-nutrient groups (carbohydrate, protein, fat) and the many recipes that can potentially be created using these ingredients. That's what you're looking for when you chose what to eat during menopause. Keep it simple, but keep it smart, and you'll be feeling and looking your best each and every day.